Short story: The OneDrive for Business improvements are here!
This was promised to us a long time ago, and it has now finally come to be. At the same time, the 20.000 file limit from before has also been removed (Improved)
Here is the proof:
The file was in addition, uploaded using the new OneDrive sync client!
(Dropped the file in the local cache and let the sync do its stuff)
- The OneDrive for Business Next Generation Sync Client is available for Windows 7, 8 and 10 (8.1 support will be added in the first quarter of 2016) and Mac OS X 10.9 and above.
- Storage, rolling out is an increase from 1TB to 5TB, upon request, more will be made available until unlimited is achieved? (Valid for: Enterprise E3, E4 and E5, Government E3, E4 and E5, Education, OneDrive for Business Plan 2 and SharePoint Online Plan 2)
- 10GB filesize limit
- No more 20.000 file limit
- !! With this first release of several, the Next Generation Sync Client supports OneDrive for Business only, but we will add support for SharePoint document libraries in future releases. (This is the best news in a long time)
- In the interim, if customers require sync for both OneDrive for Business and SharePoint document libraries, the Next Generation Sync Client is designed to work side-by-side with the existing sync client.
- the OneDrive for iOS app will support offline storage. You can selectively flag files for local availability and open them when disconnected
- For developers: https://dev.onedrive.com/ (OneDrive developer portal)
Read the official story on the Office 365 blog about the (then upcoming) news here:
OneDrive for Business update on storage plans and Next Generation Sync Client