Home > Powershell, Setup, Setup, SharePoint 2013 > How to: Change the Distributed Cache Service managed account 2013
  1. Dirk Peters
    November 13, 2012 at 13:37

hi,
    I tried this but at the last step (deploy()) it keep telling me that it does not like deploy() without any arguments. the admin Service is running!

Exception calling “Deploy” with “0” argument(s): “This operation uses the
    SharePoint Administration service (spadminV4), which could not be contacted.
    If the service is stopped or disabled, start it and try the operation again.”
    At line:1 char:1
    + $cacheService.ProcessIdentity.Deploy()
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException

• Dirk Peters
      November 13, 2012 at 14:22

Sorry, my Bad!
      I used the wrong account to run this script -.-
      It worked with the local Administration Account.

• November 13, 2012 at 14:48

Hi Dirk.
        Glad you solved it.
        Regards
        // Thomas

2. Michael Jackson
    March 19, 2013 at 19:10

I appreciate these instructions on how to get this set using powershell.

It really got me frustrated when I got the heath warning to change the account and it sent me to Service account config page as you say. and then directs me that I have to do that with powershell. So why does it even give me the option? The more I do stuff in SharePoint the more I cannot believe that it does such crazy things and people seem to be so happy that someone shows them how to jump the hurdles SharePoint puts in front of them.

ARRRRGH

sorry just venting

Mike J

• March 20, 2013 at 08:44

Michael, couldn’t agree more…! 🙂

Imagine SharePoint without all the blogs…
      I like to call SharePoint as a Product ‘Consultant friendly’.

But if I try to see why the product is the way it is, having been around SharePoint in different version for a very long time…
      I think that Microsoft has put priority on adding features in high demand and also on fixing some major functionality issues instead of fixing the ‘annoying’ isues. But, I would like to see for example a really good redesigned Farm Configuration Wizard…what if they made it useful and it helped you make all of this right from the beginning…? Just thinking out load…

Regards // Thomas

3. August 6, 2013 at 07:33

Thanks for the post.

I get an error in the line “$cacheService.ProcessIdentity.ManagedAccount = $accnt $cacheService.ProcessIdentity.Update()” saying “Unexpected token ‘$cacheService’ in expression or statement”.

I have copied the script and only changed the . Did I misunderstand something?

Regards,
    Jakob Rohde

• August 6, 2013 at 11:21

Hi Jacob.
      Sorry for that, my bad! It’s supposed to look like this:
      $cacheService.ProcessIdentity.ManagedAccount = $accnt
      $cacheService.ProcessIdentity.Update()
      $cacheService.ProcessIdentity.Deploy()
      I have updated the post now, thanks!
      Try again and please let me know the outcome?
      Regards // Thomas

4. Nathan
    September 20, 2013 at 17:44

what account do you recomend for this service?

5. Jack
    April 3, 2014 at 20:02

I got the same error as Dirk just now:
    Exception calling “Deploy” with “0” argument(s): “Cannot start service
    AppFabricCachingService on computer ‘AUSDCSPT01.AD.OSN.COM’.”
    At line:1 char:1
    + $cacheService.ProcessIdentity.Deploy()
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletInvocationException
    Except for the Fully Qualified Error ID. I was using an admin account to run these commands and I changed the service to another admin account. Any thoughts would be helpful.

6. Jeremy
    April 29, 2014 at 20:50

I get the same error as Jack. I’ve tried everything, nothing works!

7. Alen Bilic
    December 23, 2014 at 19:03

Thank YOU! THANK YOU! 🙂

8. March 5, 2015 at 15:31

If we’re in a Claims based environment do we need to do I:0#.w|Domain\username? or just domain\username?

• March 5, 2015 at 15:38

Hi.
      Most likely it is in the form domain\username
      This can easily be checked, list the managed accounts you have by running:
      Get-SPManagedAcccount